Saturday, March 29, 2008

Kind People

I have known many, many people in my life -- but I am sure that I could probably name the genuinely kind people I have known.
I think kindness is a horribly underrated quality in society.
Cleverness is admired, wealth-building skills coveted or envied, charm blushingly enjoyed by most women, and confidence respected.

But kindness is the realm of the truly great.

To be kind, you literally have to put yourself in someone else's shoes, put their interests before yours, and then think and act with compassion. That is a whole lot of hard quality steps all strung in a row. Most people can usually manage one or two of those steps at a time. As people we always truly appreciate a kindness, but it is never heralded as heroic or never ends up as a headline.
Yet it is the vital backbone of the essence of human magnificence, but is usually quiet and yet honestly makes a difference.

I doubt anyone ever really forgets a genuine kindness. The actions are generally small, may not be life changing in practical terms, but to the recipient's spirit it shouts out love, life, hope, and a belief in greatness.

Respect the kind people in your world -- life may not send you that many of them. Say thank you, tell them you love them in your own way, and try to be great every now and then and rise up above yourself, and what the heck, be an unheralded hero.

(Musing dedicated to the kindest person I have ever known, Henk.)
xxx

No comments: